Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Brunei eye return to M-League
BRUNEI could be returning to the M-League next season while Johor FA's request to have two state teams in the competition has been rejected by the FA of Malaysia (FAM).
"If we want to improve, we have to (look at playing in the M-League). The more we play overseas, the better we will become," Brunei FA president Prince Sufri Bolkiah told www.aseanfootball.org.
Prince Sufri made the statement after the Brunei Under-21 squad won last month's Hassanal Bolkiah Trophy.
FAM general-secretary Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad also confirmed that the Brunei FA was interested in returning to the M-League.
"There have been discussions but all done unofficially. Brunei FA has not sent us anything official but I believe they will do so soon," said Azzuddin recently.
Brunei had previously played in the M-League where their best result was winning the Malaysia Cup in 1999. The sultanate's only professional side, DPMM FC, presently play in the S-League.
Meanwhile, Johor FA, under the leadership of Tunku Mahkota Johor Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim, had submitted a request to FAM to have two state teams for next season but the national body rejected it.
The five teams representing Johor in the current season are Johor FC (Super League), Johor, Muar MC, Johor Bahru City Council (all Premier League) and Melodi Jaya (FAM League).
Johor FA, however, is not keen on having too many teams from its state in the league.